The Division of Continuing Education and Economic Development's Medical Assistant Program trains individuals to work as medical assistants by educating them on the administrative and clinical skills required by the profession. Graduates of the Medical Assistant Program are eligible to sit for the Registered Medical Assistant examination given by the American Medical Technologists Association.
Materials required (not included):
- Must be 18 years of age or older and provide a copy of a Driver's License or proof of identity.
- Provide a copy of a high school diploma or GED.
- Complete prescreening requirements in reading comprehension using the standardized Accuplacer test offered through Trident Technical College's Testing Center in the Student Center (Bldg. 410). A score of at least 236 must be achieved.
- The student must submit a clear (within 90 days old) South Carolina SLED background check on the first day of class. A 2nd SLED background check will be required (30-45 days) prior to starting externship. If student has a prior record, please e-mail James Cameron, program manager, firstname.lastname@example.org prior to registering.
Textbooks & Supplies required (not included):
- Uniform: Scrubs (Navy blue); Shoes (White) flat; closed-toe and closed-ankle nursing shoes. Hair must present a professional image.
Before entering externship
- BLS for Healthcare Providers Student Manual by AHA
- (approx. $20) ISBN: 1-61669-407-6
- Medical Terminology Online For Exploring Medical Language by Brooks
- (approx. $150) ISBN: 0-323-42797-9
- Kinn's The Medical Assistant published by Young-Adams
- (approx. $150) ISBN: 0-323-353200-7
- MA Notes and Phlebotomy Notes Bundle by Brassington and Strasinger
- (approx. $40) ISBN: 0-8036-4561-9
- Blood pressure cuff and stethoscope (available in the TTC Bookstore and most pharmacies) and CPR mask.
(last month of class), the student will be required to show documentation of a two-step
PPD (completed within 90-days of start of externship), major medical insurance (liability), MMR vaccination, negative nine-panel drug test (completed within 30-days of start of externship), and a flu vaccination if in season.