Certified nurse aides (CNAs) perform tasks under the supervision of nursing and medical staff. Nurse aides monitor and record vital signs and perform personal care skills including bathing, dressing and toileting, assisting with meals, transfers and ambulation, linen changes and room organization, and safety issues following facility policies and procedures.
Students are required to complete 80 hours of classroom training followed immediately by 50 hours of clinical training. To successfully complete the CNA program students must attain a grade of 80 percent on the final exam and demonstrate competency on 5/5 randomly chosen skills during lab practicum. 130 hrs of comprehensive training.
* Students must complete homework per course schedule and demonstrate competency in all required skills to provide patient care using manual equipment to monitor vital signs as indicated in the SC Nurse Aide Handbook. Students must attend the first day of class
and the first day of clinical
to be eligible to attend the remainder of the program.
Registration Requirements (please read):
Required Textbooks and Materials (not included):
- Must be 17 years of age or older and provide a copy of a Driver's License.
- Student should bring proof of background check to registration for review.
- The student must submit a clear (within 90 days old) South Carolina SLED or National background check on the first day of class. If student has a prior record, please e-mail Angie Duncan, program manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, prior to registering.
- Do not bring TB results to registration. Student must bring a copy of their negative 1st step results, of the 2-step PPD required, on the first day of class. TB test results must be less than 90 days old.
- Prior to starting, the first day of clinical, the student must show the instructor proof of a 2nd negative TB test result. Incomplete proof will result in the student being unable to complete the CNA training program. No exceptions.
- Classroom Scrubs (any color)
- Clinical Scrubs White.
- Shoes (White) nursing or leather shoes with white socks.
- Hair & Nails must present a professional image.
- Long-term Care and Home Health, 4th Edition by Hartman Publishing (approximately $56) and workbook (approximately $30) available in the TTC Main Campus Bookstore (Bldg. 950).
- Blood pressure cuff to fit student's arm and stethoscope available in TTC Bookstore (approximately $37) and most pharmacies
Prior to entering clinical students must submit:
9 or 10 panel drug screen (must be done within 30 days of clinical starting), two step TB Test (within 90 days of clinical starting).
Students who successfully complete the CNA training are eligible to sit for the S.C. Nurse Aide Certification Exam administered by the NACES Plus Foundation; Inc., 800.273.3517. (NNAAP- National Nurse Aide Assessment Program). A felony conviction or inclusion on the S.C. Abuse Registry may prevent state testing eligibility.