A real-world simulation is included in the EMT program to better prepare students for entering the workforce. This program is required for individuals who wish to become an emergency medical technician in South Carolina. All coursework is approved by the Emergency Medical Services Division of the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. TTC's Division of Continuing Education and Economic Development EMT Training Program is 200
hours and takes approximately six months to complete on a part-time basis. This course is offered one day per week and occasionally during daytime hours. South Carolina follows the current U.S. Department of Transportation/National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) curriculum for EMT Basic.
All EMT Basic classes meet the 2018 Educational Standards. Curriculum includes preparatory (32 hours); airway (32 hours); CPR (8 hours); patient assessment (20 hours); medical (48 hours); trauma (40 hours); pediatrics (12 hours); operations (12 hours); and skill prep and review (16 hours).
Graduates of the courses are eligible to take the National Registry Examination.
- Must be at least 18 years old before course completion.
- High school graduate or possess a high school equivalency (GED).
- Must be physically fit and able to perform all of the tasks required of an EMT.
- Complete prescreening requirements in reading comprehension using the standardized Accuplacer test offered through Trident Technical College's Testing Center in the Student Center (Bldg. 410). A score of at least 236 must be achieved to enter the EMT Basic course.
Prior to the start of the 25
ride-a-long hours; students must provide to instructor (this will be explained on 1st
day of class):
- Hepatitis B vaccination or documentation of immunization.
- MMR vaccination records.
- Current negative PPD (TB) test.
- 10 year national background check.
- Proof of major medical insurance (student plans acceptable).
TTC's Emergency Medical Technician training courses are regulated by the S.C. Emergency Medical Services Department of the Division of Health and Environmental Control.
Required Textbooks and Materials:
- Visit www.tridenttech.edu/ce before class starts to view required textbooks the student will need to purchase. EMS shirt is provided for the student.
DUE TO PREREQUISITES (Accuplacer test
); ONLINE REGISTRATION IS NOT VALID.
*PLEASE CALL (843)574-6152
FOR DETAILS ON COMPLETING YOUR REGISTRATION IN THIS PROGRAM.